Philadelphia Medical Malpractice Attorneys
Reiff & Bily is a Philadelphia-based personal injury law firm that provides a free consultationnto persons throughout Pennsylvania who have been harmed by medical malpractice or medical negligence seeking legal advice regarding their medical malpractice claim. We have skillfully and aggressively represented seriously injured clients in personal injury and medical malpractice cases for several decades and welcome your questions.
Doctors, nurses, and other health care professionals must provide their patients with a level of medical care that meets certain standards. If these professionals fail to provide adequate medical care and such sub-standard care injures a patient, the patient is a victim of medical malpractice and may be entitled to compensation for his or her injuries. Additionally, if a health care professional acted negligently and caused the death of a patient, the patient’s relatives may also file a wrongful death claim.
Common Types of Medical Malpractice
Patients of all ages can be victims of medical malpractice. Medical errors that carry particularly severe consequences include birth injuries (birthing malpractice), surgical mistakes (surgical malpractice) and cancer misdiagnosis.
Birthing Malpractice: Birth injuries can leave newborns with permanent disabilities. When a doctor, OB/GYN, nurse or other medical professional provides sub-standard medical care during a mother’s pregnancy at or around the time of a child’s birth, such negligence can cause cerebral palsy. This can occur if the mother suffers an infection during and before childbirth or if oxygen supply to the newborn is compromised.
Surgical Malpractice: Errors committed by surgeons, anesthesiologists, or nurses before, during or after surgery can result in serious injuries or death. Surgical errors include operating on the wrong organ, providing sub-standard post-operative care, or administering the wrong medication.
Cancer Misdiagnosis: When a doctor, such as a radiologist or oncologist, negligently fails to diagnose cancer or negligently delays a cancer diagnosis, such medical malpractice may result in severe harm to the patient. The misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis may limit the treatment options available to the cancer patient and diminish his or her chances of survival.
If you believe that you are a victim of medical malpractice in Pennsylvania, call Reiff & Bily at 1-800-861-6708 or contact us online for a free consultation. We may be able to recover monetary compensation for your future medical costs, pain and suffering, and other associated damages.
- Cancer Misdiagnosis
- Wrong Site Surgical Errors
- Pelvic Mesh Injuries – Transvaginal Mesh Surgery
- Failure to Diagnose
- Heart Attack
- Hospital Negligence
- Anesthesia Errors
Medical Malpractice Case Results
- Confidential Medical Malpractice Settlement: Woman was wrongly diagnosed with a coronary.
- Confidential Medical Malpractice Settlement: Client suffers from blindness because of the failure to diagnose both eye laceration in a timely manner and refer patient to an ophthalmologist.
- Confidential Medical Malpractice Settlement: Following a procedure to repair an aortic aneurysm, a foreign object was left in the patient.
- Confidential Settlement: For dental malpractice involving improper medication/procedures resulting in death.
- Confidential Settlement: For medical malpractice involving blindness. Failure to protect eyes during surgery.
- Confidential Settlement: Medical malpractice. ER treatment.
- $1,539,803.50 Medical Malpractice Verdict: Our client was injured when a laparotomy sponge was left inside her during a hysterectomy. The plaintiff sued her doctor and the hospital after the malpractice error resulted in an abscess, months of suffering, and required another surgery to extricate the sponge.
- Over $1.5 Million for Medical Malpractice: Wrongly administered medication.
- $1,450,000 Medical Malpractice Recovery: A woman with depression that was referred to a psychiatrist by her health care provider’s HMO referral booklet (HMO) was drugged and sexually assaulted by the doctor. Evidence later revealed that the psychiatrist was not a licensed doctor and the health care facility never checked his credentials.
- $800,000 Medical Malpractice Award: Jury awarded plaintiff damages after surgeon left 40 X 60 cm fabric towel in the abdomen after an exploratory laparotomy and the repair of an abdominal aortic aneurysm. The hospital was also a defendant in the medical malpractice lawsuit.
- $650,000 Medical Negligence Settlement: Delayed diagnosis of breast cancer in a 32 year old woman. Settled immediately prior to trial for $650,000.
- $550,000 Medical Negligence Settlement: Common bile duct was severed during laparoscopic gall bladder surgery. Settled after jury selection for $550,000.
- $500,000 Medical Negligence Settlement: Physician failed to properly treat respiratory distress in an asthmatic teenager resulting in death. Case settled after 4 days of trial.
- $450,000 Medical Negligence Settlement
- $350,000 Medical Negligence Settlement: Death of a newborn child due to excessive administration of potassium. Settled for $350,000 one month after suit was instituted.
- $110,000 Medical Malpractice Case: Depression medication caused priapism and client had to undergo surgical intervention.
- $80,000 recovery: Against doctor after anesthetized patient fell off an examination table during a procedure while lying on her side.
USA Today: Hayrides in many states face few regulations
US News and World Report: Families Expect Fun at Amusement Parks, Not Danger