Philadelphia Medical Malpractice Attorneys
We trust that doctors, EMTs, nurses, surgeons, anesthesiologists, and other health care professionals will support and care for us in our times of need. It is when we are sick, weak, and scared that we need the utmost attention and consideration, but unfortunately this support is not always provided. When doctors are careless, negligent, or under-qualified, innocent patients can be seriously injured or even killed.
If you were harmed by your doctor, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries, suffering, and medical expenses. The Philadelphia medical malpractice attorneys at Reiff & Bily have more than 34 years of experience representing injury and wrongful death victims, and are prepared to handle even highly complex multi-party claims. We fight aggressively for maximum compensation and offer free initial consultations, so call us today at (800) 861-6708 to learn more about your legal options.
COMMON TYPES OF MEDICAL MALPRACTICE
By law, doctors and other healthcare professionals must supply their patients with a certain level of care. If a doctor negligently fails to provide adequate care and consequently injures or kills a patient, he or she may be held financially liable.
There are many different forms of doctor negligence, but all have the potential to be extremely dangerous for patients. In addition to the physical injuries and emotional damage that medical malpractice can cause, the victims also typically suffer tremendous financial setbacks.
Medical errors that carry particularly severe consequences include birth injuries (birthing malpractice), surgical mistakes (surgical malpractice), prescription drug and medication errors (medication malpractice), misdiagnosis, and failure to diagnose. The risks and injuries that these types of malpractice can result in include:
- Birthing Malpractice: Birth injuries can leave newborns with permanent disabilities. When a doctor, OB/GYN, nurse or other medical professional provides sub-standard medical care during a mother’s pregnancy or delivery, negligence can cause conditions like Erb’s palsy or cerebral palsy. The risk of cerebral palsy is increased if the mother suffers an infection during or before childbirth, or if oxygen supply to the newborn is compromised.
- Surgical Malpractice: Errors committed by surgeons, anesthesiologists, or nurses before, during or after surgery can result in serious injuries or death. Surgical errors include operating on the wrong organ, operating on the wrong side of the body, providing sub-standard post-operative care, and administering the wrong medication. Anesthesia errors can include a failure to recognize allergic reactions or the administration of too little or too much anesthesia. Anesthesia errors can lead to tracheal damage, brain damage, paralysis, and stroke.
- Prescription Drug and Medication Malpractice: This form of malpractice occurs when a patient is prescribed the wrong dosage of medication or is given the wrong drug, increasing the risk of deadly drug interactions or an untreated condition growing worse. Prescription drug malpractice also covers a wide variety of medication errors such as mislabeling a prescription or supplying incomplete or incorrect patient information, such as a patient allergy.
- Cancer Misdiagnosis: This occurs when a doctor, such as a radiologist or oncologist, negligently fails to diagnose cancer or otherwise delays a cancer diagnosis which another doctor would have noticed under the same circumstances. The misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis may limit the treatment options available to the cancer patient, which could dramatically affect the patient’s recovery outcome, or even reduce the patient’s life expectancy.
Medical malpractice cases include a wide variety of medical errors, and are not limited to those listed above. The most important factor to note is that a healthcare professional’s negligence, either by act or omission, caused a patient a severe and often life- changing injury.
OUR CASE RESULTS: CLAIMS OUR ATTORNEYS HANDLE
We have represented a number of clients who have suffered from a variety of medical negligence claims such as:
- Cancer Misdiagnosis
- Wrong Site Surgical Errors
- Pelvic Mesh Injuries – Transvaginal Mesh Surgery
- Failure to Diagnose
- Heart Attack
- Hospital Negligence
- Anesthesia Errors
- Wrongful Death
We have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients, that may have been in similar situations to yours. The lawyers at Reiff & Bily strive to get our clients maximum compensation. Some of our notable medical malpractice results include:
- $1,539,803.50 Medical Malpractice Verdict:Our client was injured when a laparotomy sponge was left inside her during a hysterectomy. The plaintiff sued her doctor and the hospital after the malpractice error resulted in an abscess, months of suffering, and required another surgery to extricate the sponge.
- $5.7 Million Dollar Award: Our client was injured during a diagnostic procedure. He suffered a life-altering brain damage, that required a lifetime of medical care. After spending time investigating the case, we discovered that a medical record had been changed, implying an attempt to cover up the medical error.
- $1,450,000 Medical Malpractice Recovery:A woman with depression that was referred to a psychiatrist by her health care provider’s HMO referral booklet (HMO) was drugged and sexually assaulted by the doctor. Evidence later revealed that the psychiatrist was not a licensed doctor and the health care facility never checked his credentials.
- $800,000 Medical Malpractice Award: Jury awarded plaintiff damages after surgeon left 40 X 60 cm fabric towel in the abdomen after an exploratory laparotomy and the repair of an abdominal aortic aneurysm. The hospital was also a defendant in the medical malpractice lawsuit.
- $650,000 Medical Negligence Settlement:Delayed diagnosis of breast cancer in a 32 year old woman. Settled immediately prior to trial for $650,000.
For over 90 collective years, we have put our knowledge and experience at the forefront of our cases, in order to serve our clients with our best efforts. While all cases are unique and fact specific, some of our past clients, may have been in similar situations to your own.
CONTACT OUR LAWYERS FOR A FREE LEGAL CONSULTATION
At Reiff & Bily we understand how difficult being a victim of negligence can be, and are here to help you fight for justice. We may be able to recover monetary compensation for your current and future medical costs, pain and suffering, and other associated damages. Call our Philadelphia medical malpractice attorneys at (800) 861-6708, or contact us online for a free consultation.
USA Today: Hayrides in many states face few regulations
US News and World Report: Families Expect Fun at Amusement Parks, Not Danger