Every year, hundreds of construction workers are killed in accidents that occur while working on construction sites. In fact, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, over 800 construction industry employees died in work-related accidents in 2013. There are hundreds of other accidents that leave victims unable to work, or even permanently disabled. If you or someone you love has been seriously injured in a work-related accident, you may be able to file a liability claim against those at fault for your injury. You may be able to recover compensation for your medical and hospital bills, rehabilitation costs, and in the event that your injury caused you to lose or compromise your ability to work, you may even be able to recover money for loss of wages or pain and suffering.
The personal injury lawyers at Reiff & Bily have recovered millions of dollars in settlements for our injury clients. We are knowledgeable in all areas of law pertaining to construction accidents and other work-related injuries, and our Philadelphia construction accident lawyers work hard to obtain the maximum recovery for our client’s injuries. Contact us at (800) 861-6708 for your free consultation.
Common Work-Related and Construction Site Accidents in Philadelphia
Construction accidents are an all too frequent occurrence despite the implementation of many federal and state regulations and industry standards that mandate certain work-site safety measures. These measured, although placed by construction employees, sub-contractors, and general contractors, cannot always guarantee work-site safety, or that an unexpected accident will occur. Unfortunately, construction accidents happen all too frequently, and may include:
- nail gun accidents
- defective machinery accidents
- scaffolding falls
- exposure to toxic substances
- defective products-related injuries
- crane collapses
- electrical accidents
- compressed gas accidents
- logging accidents
- industrial machine accidents
- scaffolding accidents
- crane accidents
Because of the nature of a construction worker’s job, injuries sustained in a construction accident are often devastating, and even fatal. Common Injuries include:
- spinal cord injuries (SCIs)
- traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- head trauma
- back injuries
- neck injuries
- severed limbs
- burn injuries
What Are My Rights as a Worker? Can I File a Personal Injury Claim?
Employers are obligated to provide construction workers with workers’ compensation benefits., however, workers’ compensation often does not always cover all costs generated by the injuries and damages sustained by victims of construction accidents. There may be third parties, such as a defective product manufacturer, the property owner, a sub-contractor, a general contractor, an architect, or others that can be held liable for your injury accidents.
Our Philadelphia construction worker injury attorneys have the experience, knowledge, and resources to file personal injury lawsuits against negligent third parties for the harm that you have suffered so that you can obtain financial recovery for medical expenses, loss of consortium, lost wages, and other damages.
How Our Lawyers Can Help After a Construction Accident
It is common for victims of construction accidents to assume that workers’ compensation insurance is their only possible source of recovery if the injury occurred on a work site, but third-party lawsuits are valid and winnable in many situations involving the negligence of subcontractors, consultants and product manufacturers. A few of the many types of construction site accidents we are prepared to evaluate for legal action are:
- Falls from scaffolding, ladders and other heights, often resulting in severe spinal cord injury, brain injury or death
- Severe injuries or fatalities resulting from use of defective or poorly maintained equipment including nail guns, other power and hand tools, and construction vehicles
- Cranes and other massive equipment that topple or collapse
- Injuries caused by falling debris or obstacles such as uncovered holes on the site
- Toxic chemical exposure
- Electrocutions, fires and explosions
Our Results in Construction Accident Cases
Our track record of success in litigation after construction site accidents includes:
- A $1.1 million wrongful death settlement for the family of a construction worker killed by a falling steel beam
- Two $900,000-plus recoveries under premises liability law for individuals who suffered head, bodily and brain injuries caused by a building facade that collapsed
- $550,000 Construction Negligence Settlement: Three year old suffered severe burns to his arm and torso when he fell out of bed and landed on a baseboard heater. Case settled following jury selection.
- Numerous sizable recoveries for victims of dangerous products used by carpenters and other construction workers
If You Were Hurt on a Construction Site in Philadelphia, Our Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help
The risks and dangers of construction work are well known, but many catastrophic accidents occur due to the negligence of contractors, subcontractors, equipment manufacturers and other parties. At Reiff & Bily, our proven team of Pennsylvania construction injury attorneys and professional support staff have the knowledge and experience to recover monetary compensation after catastrophic instances of construction site or manufacturing negligence.
We have handled numerous high-stakes claims after accidents caused by contractors’ failure to comply with federal or state regulations or industry standards, and our lawyers also have extensive experience in products and premises liability cases. For honest legal counsel from an attorney with over three decades of relevant, versatile experience, call Reiff & Bily at 1-800-861-6708 or contact us online, to schedule your free consultation.
1125 Walnut Street, Floor 3 Philadelphia, PA 19107